Obituary

 

Sister Mary Martin Cawley, IHM

Sister Mary Martin Cawley, IHM, of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Saturday, March 1, 1952 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Carbondale, Pennsylvania.

She was born on November 21, 1885 in Archbald, Pennsylvania, and given the name Margaret. She was the daughter of the late Martin and Mary Coyne Cawley.  She entered the IHM Congregation on September 8, 1910, received the religious habit on August 2, 1911, and made profession of her vows on August 2, 1913.

Sister Mary Martin served as a music teacher at the following schools: Marywood College in Scranton, PA; St. Joseph School in Williamsport, PA; Holy Rosary School in Scranton, PA; St. Patrick School in Scranton, PA; St. Mary of the Mount School in Pittsburgh, PA; and Most Holy Rosary School in Syracuse, NY.

Sister Mary Martin served as superior and catechetical instructor at St. Ann Catechetical Center in Devon, CT, and St. Ambrose Convent in Bridgeport, CT. 

Sister also served as a second assistant and secretary general for the IHM Congregation leadership team.

She was preceded in death by two brothers, Reverend Martin and Reverend Michael, and a sister, Bridget Cawley McLane.

She is survived by several nieces and nephews, including Reverend Joseph Kelly, of Flushing, NY; Reverend  Joseph Cawley, S.J., of Philadelphia, PA; Reverend  John Cawley, SS, of Baltimore, MD; Sister M. deNeri McLane, IHM; Sister M. Basil McLane, IHMof Dushore, PA; Sister  M. Agnes Teresa, Sister of Charity, Pittsburgh, PA; and Mother Cawley, Religious of the Cenecle, Newport, RI.

The funeral will be on Tuesday, March 4, with Mass at 9:30 a.m. at the Marywood College Chapel. Interment will follow at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, Pennsylvania.  Friends may call on Monday afternoon or evening at Marywood.

Memorial contributions may be made to support the retired IHM Sisters c/o the IHM Sisters Retirement Fund, IHM Center, 2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18509.


Below is a newspaper account about our Sister Mary Martin Cawley:

"Sister Mary Martin dies in hospital.  

Sr. Mary Martin Cawley, Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, died Saturday in St. Joseph's Hospital, Carbondale, PA.  She had been ill several months.

Born in Archbald, she was the daughter of the late Martin and Mary Coyne Cawley.  On Sept. 8, 1910, she entered the Immaculate Heart Order at Marywood, where, on Aug. 2, 1911 she received the holy habit and two years later pronounced her vows.

A woman of most unusual gifts and talents, Sister Mary Martin was honored at the last community election with the offices of second assistant and secretary general.  She had served in these capicities (sic) the past three years.

Throughout her life, she was a noted musician, having made distinct contributions to the growth and development of the Liturgical Movement in the country.  Sister taught at Marywood College and the following parochial schools: St. Joseph's in Williamsport, PAHoly Rosary and St. Patrick's - ScrantonSt. Mary of the Mount, Pittsburgh, PA; Most Holy Rosary in Syracuse, NY.

Some years ago when religious instruction for public school children became an acute problem, Sr. Mary Martin did notable work in establishing the pattern of work in the modern catechetical center.  She was appointed Superior and initiated this catechetical program at St. Ann, Devon, Conn.  and later at St. Ambrose, Bridgeport, CT, where she labored until her election to the Community Council.

Sr. Mary Martin was a sister of the late Rev. Martin and Rev. Michael Cawley both well known priests of the Scranton Diocese.  She is survived by a number of nieces and nephews, including Rev. Joseph Kelly, of Flushing, NY; Rev. Joseph Cawley, S.J., of Philadelphia; Rev. John Cawley, SS, of Baltimore, MD; Sister M. deNeri and Sister M. Basil McLane of the IHM Order and Sr. M. Agnes Teresa, Sister of Charity, Pittsburgh; Mother Cawley, Religious of the Cenecle, Newport, RI.

A solemn Requiem Mass will be offered tomorrow at 9:30 AM in the Marywood College Chapel.  Interment will be in St. Catherine's Cemetery, Moscow, PA."